[llvm-dev] "Living Downstream Without Drowning" BOF @ Dev Meeting

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 19 11:05:14 PDT 2015

I find the git imerge script extremely useful for this kind of situation.

https://github.com/mhagger/git-imerge

Logically, it does something similar to rebasing your local branch onto
EVERY commit in the upstream branch, in turn, until it finds conflicts.
There is cleverness to make this efficient, let you stop and restart the
merge, share intermediate state with others, build&test intermediate
results (automatically if you want). At the end of the process you can
choose to keep the intermediate commits that are the same as the result of
a "git merge" or a "git rebase" or a new feature the author calls "rebase
with history" that keeps the original branch too and makes each rebased
commit have the corresponding commit in the original branch as a parent.