[llvm-dev] Managed Languages BOF @ Dev Meeting

Joe Ranieri via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 16 13:27:24 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:58 PM, Philip Reames via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Sanjoy, Joseph, and I will be hosting a BoF on using LLVM to build compilers
> for managed languages.  We're curious to hear who's planning on attending
> and what topics you'd like to hear about.  Depending on the expected
> audience, we're happy to do anything between a rough "what to expect getting
> started" to a down in the weeds working session on relevant optimization or
> ABI related topics.  If you're planning on attending, please let us know.
> If you have particular topics you'd like to hear about or discuss, please
>
> The major areas we've thought of include:
> - High level architectures for successful projects: debuggable
> architectures, working with the community, etc..
> - Dealing w/ABI requirements like calling conventions, exceptions, patchable
> calls, Inline caches, frame inspection, and deoptimization
> - Lowering/compilation strategies for high level languages
> - Differences in canonical IR from traditional C code and resulting
> optimization challenges
>
> Philip

I'm planning on attending. You've mentioned some of these, but
specific topics of interest for me include:
- Dealing with the explosion of basic blocks that come up with
languages where almost every function call, implicit and explicit, can
raise exceptions.
- Proper ABI implementation without reimplementing Clang's
TargetInfo.cpp or embedding Clang.
- The issue of knowing what the canonical IR is to begin with and then
how to deal with the differences.
- Preserving correct semantics of language specific constructs without
hindering optimizations.

-- Joe Ranieri