[llvm-dev] RFC: Second draft of an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 14:40:16 PDT 2015

> I don't think it makes sense for a document to say directly that it isn't
> trying to change anything. Once it exists, there is no change to speak of?

A large part of our interaction happens online. Saying that it is
codifying current behaviour makes list/log archive archeology a
reasonable way to see what is normal for cases where the document is
not clear.

> Hrm, I'm not sure how to make it more clear. I think the best way is to get
> the wording to align with the general expectations of the community. Do you
> have specific things that would help there? Here is my best idea:
>
> It already states "We want to ensure that the LLVM community, while large
> and diverse, remains welcoming and respectful to all participants." which is
> trying to get at what you are saying Rafael with the "remains". But I could
> imagine rewording it to make this more obvious like so:
>
> "The LLVM community has always worked to be a welcoming and respectful
> community, and we want to ensure that doesn't change as we grow larger and
> more diverse."

I think this is a good change in wording and pretty much covers one
direction: We want to remain welcoming to people.

The other direction is not so clear and I think it is important too as
we have what looks to me a pretty good balance. I really don't want
people to have to think twice about using nicks like katana or having
alcohol mentioned. I don't think it is feasible to write rules for it
all. Saying that we like the current balance and that it is "case law"
(but circumstances have to be considered) is probably the best that
can be done.

Cheers,
Rafael