[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 07:24:24 PDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 14:59, Krzysztof Parzyszek
<kparzysz at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> This can be done today without any special documents.  This relies on the "benevolent
> authority" of the administrators, which is not always granted (although I
> think this list does not suffer from that).

For electronic communications, I agree.

> Another problem with a CoC is that if it puts too much stress on "not
> offending" anyone, some people may avoid voicing certain (legitimate)
> thoughts out of fear of being considered offensive.

My strong reaction to the CoC was originally sparked by that feeling.
I'm sure there are a lot of people like me in this list that feel the
same way and won't voice their concerns. Imposing a strong stance for
the offender *will* marginalise the unintentional offenders. If the
idea of the CoC is to not marginalise anyone, we have to be careful.

As I said earlier, if the intent is to "mediate" not "punish", and the
people mediating it understand this conundrum, we should be fine.

> A conference is a completely different thing, as it is a subject to actual
> law (contract, etc.).  A written CoC for a conference would be a good idea,
> and agreeing to it could be a requirement for participation.  The difference
> there is that this agreement would be legally binding, and allow for legal
> remedies for violations.

Agreed.

--renato