[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 06:44:39 PDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 14:32, Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> CoC is not going to stop or prevent any harassment.

True.

> The current administrators of the mailing
> lists, or the organizers of the LLVM conferences already have the means to
> deal with it.

Not really.

We haven't had to ban anyone from the list or kick anyone from a
conference yet, but without some form of written agreement, it'd be
hard to get to any concrete solution if it were to happen.

I'm not saying the CoC is perfect, or is the best tool for the job,
but it's *a* tool, IFF there is agreement in the community about it,
and IFF the whole process is democratic, including future changes.
Like constitutions trump laws, I believe community pressure should
always trump committees and foundations.

cheers,
--renato