[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 06:26:25 PDT 2015

On 10/14/2015 2:25 AM, James Molloy via llvm-dev wrote:
> The only concern I have on the wordsmithing is if it became too much
> like the FreeBSD CoC - the example thrown around has been "Don't make it
> personal, don't take it personally" which for me is way too terse and
> doesn't put enough onus on the aggresser to be more polite in a
> cross-culture community. And that, in a nutshell, is what separates our
> culture from that of some other projects.

The person who takes offense in something may do so under the influence
of their own (potentially misguided) perceptions.  We cannot blindly put
the focus on the "source" of the offending material and require them to
conform to the idea of politeness shared by everyone.  This is how
"political correctness" has come into existence.  The "don't take it
personally" is excellent in the sense that it encourages a second look
at the problem from a more impersonal distance.  This is something that
would help in all forms of communication, not just in this particular case.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation