[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 00:19:01 PDT 2015

 > Open source is past the time of peace and love,

Actually FOSS is a child of hate: RMS hating the new ways of software
development.

 > and now it's all about money.

I do not think that making money is a bad thing in itself.

What's not going work is trying to impose commercial ethics on charity
work and vice versa.

Am 13.10.2015 um 23:32 schrieb Renato Golin via llvm-dev:
> We had people *demanding* their bugs being fixed because millions of
> users rely on their products. [...]
> The come back is usually in the form of "you are the experts, I'm not,
> therefore you have to fix the bugs I don't understand about".

Fair enough.

> That kind of behaviour, in my view, is disrespectful to begin with. It
> assumes a the commercial model should apply for everyone.

Yeah, it's applying commercial ethics to charity work.

 > In some
> cases, I replied saying it would be unlikely that those bugs would be
> fixed, to which the OP probably got upset and left thinking our
> community is unhelpful. Should I have acted differently? Should we
> strive to fix every possible bug, ever?

Maybe this would work better:

Tell him that his problem is commercial, and the priorities of neither
paid nor charity contributors to LLVM share his priorities.
Since he's a business, his approach to getting his problems solved is to
pay somebody to do it. Apple has been paying person-decades to get its
priorities addressed in LLVM; if his product is relevant to millions of
users, he should be able to pay a person-month or so to get his problem
fixed.

Just my way of addressing that kind of issue, YMMV :-)

Regards,
Jo