[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 13:59:05 PDT 2015

Let me skip most of the CoC comments which I largely agree with, both in
terms of the proposed CoC and the need for having one in first place.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 09:38:57PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev wrote:
> Actually I'm not yet convinced that LLVM really needs a CoC. If people have
> been reluctant to join, I'm really, really sure it's not due to lack of CoC
> or enforcement; it's just what people say, but you really need to give them
> ways to get their toes wet without embarrasing themselves too much -
> participate in GSoC, mark problems as "easy to fix", set up a queue for
> incoming patches and make that process transparent (the latter one is really
> hard, I have up on contributing to Guava because the Guava team's
> decisionmaking is entirely inside of Google) - I don't know how much of this
> is already happening in LLVM because obviously I don't need that kind of
> encouragement, but that's what I have seen has worked resp. has not worked.

I think this goes much more to the heart of community interaction than
the CoC did. Things like seemingly ignored contributions and bug reports
are IMO far more damaging and off-putting for newcomers.

> Also, being welcoming isn't necessary high on the priority list. LLVM is
> infrastructure, and you need a different mindest. I was just made aware of
> this posting:
> https://plus.google.com/+KristianK%C3%B6hntopp/posts/9ZL862AgjqE
> He's exaggerating, but he does bring the point home that projects should not
> necessarily welcome everybody. So... what people does LLVM want to feel
> welcome, and what kind of people does LLVM want to look unattractive for?

I don't exactly agree with that post, but it highlights one important
aspect for any person not used to the LLVM community. "We welcome
contributions, but we also require contributors to work with us."
Consider me a privileged white male, but I don't see the problems
justifying (!) the introduction a CoC compared to all the other relevant
social issues that are more important in my perception.

Joerg