[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 12:10:15 PDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 19:22, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Not because it was offensive, but because they wanted to avoid having to
> discuss it at all. Which is quite reasonable actually.

This is the reason why (copyright/patent/general) trolls exist. I
don't think it's reasonable at all.

> Problem is that it's very hard to word that calling out in a way that is not
> offensive. With a Code of Conduct is in place, the stakes are even higher for the
> accused one.

Which discourages such important reminders.

> Actually I don't think the LLVM community does. It's just too easy to get
> carried away when drawing up a set of rules - just remember the last time
> when you designed an API and later found it's totally overspecific.
> Permission systems are another area that's particularly prone to this kind
> of overspecification.

That's a very distilled version of my feelings towards this spec.
Over-specified, over-reaching, not entirely relevant.

cheers,
--renato