[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 10:32:03 PDT 2015

> On Oct 13, 2015, at 4:55 AM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 13 Oct 2015, at 02:42, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you have questions, please see feel free to contact the LLVM Foundation Code of Conduct Advisory Committee by emailing conduct at llvm.org.
>
> My main concern with this document is that it is appointing the LLVM Foundation Code of Conduct Advisory Committee as the arbiters and  judges (with enforcement powers) over the LLVM community, yet does not provide any indication of:
>
> - Who these people are.

It isn’t the point of the code of conduct to list this, but you can find the specific list of people here:
http://blog.llvm.org/2014/04/the-llvm-foundation.html

This also outlines the scope of the foundation.

> - How the LLVM community will select them (I presume that they are not intended to be externally imposed, as to have any moral authority over the community they would have to be supported by the community).
>
> - How often they will change, what the term limits are, and so on.
>
> - What their oversight mechanism is (it appears that the only appeal to rulings of the committee is to the committee itself, which seems rife for abuse).

None of this is relevant to the Code of Conduct, it is about the Foundation.  If you are interested, Tanya can provide you with this information, but I’d suggest starting a *new* thread to discuss it.

> The LLVM Foundation itself has existed now for over a year and has largely failed to engage with the community.  This is clearly not a good model for an committee that is intended to oversee (and enforce!) the behaviour of a community.

You seem to have a misunderstanding about what the LLVM Foundation is about.  It isn’t about making technical decisions (we have code owners for that).  It is designed to handle administration of the project and infrastructure, including planning and rolling out of the devmtgs.

-Chris