[llvm-dev] Should I worry about test failures in a release?

Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 01:19:37 PDT 2015

Am 12.10.2015 um 18:26 schrieb Renato Golin:
> Some people prefer following releases and having a higher cost when
> migrating, other people prefer to spread the cost over many months,
> but you'll have to resolve conflicts most of the time you re-base your
> project regardless of what you choose.

Oh... why do I need to rebase?
I don't have the manpower or C++ expertise to hack on LLVM itself, I've
been planning to just use it. Since I'm just doing a proof of concept, I
(hopefully) won't have to use any of the more experimental stuff.

A different but related questons: Are minor releases of LLVM
backwards-compatible? Bitcode compatibility would be particularly
interesting - can I assume that the LLVM toolchain is able to work with
bitcode generated by earlier versions of the toolchain?

Regards,
Jo