[llvm-dev] Should I worry about test failures in a release?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 12 04:52:57 PDT 2015

On 11 October 2015 at 21:46, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Since I plan to use LLVM as a backend, not hack on it, I'm not going to get
> much joy out of TRUNK, so I reverted to 3.7.
> Which led me to the realization that GettingStarted does not mention
> libcxxabi.

That depends on what you use. If you use libc++, then you need to
worry about those tests.

Releases are done with the components that are known to work on the
platform. For example, 3.7 was the first that I bundled the sanitizers
for AArch64, since it's the first that we can claim support. I plan to
release libc++ too, once it's stable, even if the example
documentation doesn't explicitly mention it, the test-release.sh
script can build and test it.

Regarding trunk vs release, it depends on what you need. If your
project will use LLVM for a long time (ie. if this is a serious long
term project), then you should follow trunk as closely as possible. If
this is just a trial project, then following a release is better,
because you can focus on your project only and you'll always be able
to build it targeting a specific release in the future, not having to
track which commits off trunk were good.

cheers,
--renato