[llvm-dev] handling "overlapping" register classes

Jakob Stoklund Olesen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 00:03:57 PDT 2015

> On Oct 5, 2015, at 19:41, Preston Briggs via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I'm working on generating code for a machine that has a register set kind of like the 68000.
>
> For those who don't recall, the 68K has 8 Data registers that can be used for ordinary integer
> instructions like add, subtract, multiply, shift, etc., and 8 Address registers that can be use for
> integer addition and a few other things, especially base registers for addressing modes.
> The Data register, on the other hand, cannot be used as base registers.

[…]

> So, finally, my question: Is there any similar scheme in LLVM's code generator?
> What I'm looking for is a way to select the one of the two available integer addition
> instructions (add using Address registers or add using Data registers) so as to
> minimize the number of Address-Data copies.

Hi Preston,

Short answer: No, LLVM can’t do that, and you have to roll your own pass to select add instructions.

There is some support implemented for what you describe: Tablegen and the register allocator understand overlapping register classes. Tablegen will create a function to compute the intersection of two register classes, and it will create synthetic register classes to ensure that there is always an exact answer, no matter how you defined your register classes in the XXXRegisters.td file. See TargetRegisterInfo::getCommonSubClass().

The instruction selector computes a register class for each live range by intersecting the requirements of each use-instruction like you describe. It also knows to insert copies when the intersection becomes empty. It doesn’t do this intelligently, but it does generate legal code.

When live ranges are split during register allocation, the register class of the fragments is recomputed in case it becomes possible to use a larger register class. See MachineRegisterInfo::recomputeRegClass().

We don’t compute an interference graph, but you could use getCommonSubClass() to test if two register classes are overlapping.

I think LLVM’s instruction selection would be improved for many targets if it supported a generalization of your problem. It’s what I called “register bank selection” here: http://www.2pi.dk/llvm/global-isel.html <http://www.2pi.dk/llvm/global-isel.html> The current instruction selector design uses a fixed mapping from IR types to register banks.

It seems to me that the problem of optimal register bank selection could be expressed in similar terms as the problem of optimal global live range splitting, and I suspect that the algorithm in SpillPlacement.cpp could be generalized.

Thanks,
/jakob