[llvm-dev] when would I use addrspacecast?

mats petersson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 6 02:26:49 PDT 2015

Some languages, such as OpenCL, has address spaces that are not part of
standard C. This may mean "add some offset to the pointer [if it's not
NULL]" (the offset may be in a hardware register and depend on the current
thread or some such too).

I expect one could use this in C to support Thread Local Storage, for
example. I don't know if Clang actually does that, or has some separate
mechanism for solving this. In x86, the TLS is supported by using the
segment register to hold the base-address into the TLS memory for a given
thread, so a addrspacecast to "global" address space would then be a LEA
RDX, FS:[RAX] to convert from offset RAX in TLS into a global pointer in
RDX [it's a few years since I worked on x86-64 assembler, so syntax may be
off].

--
Mats