[llvm-dev] SRET consistency between declaration and call site

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 5 15:45:29 PDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 08:43:49AM -0700, Tim Northover wrote:
> > Hi Joerg,
> >
> > On 3 October 2015 at 02:29, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev
> > <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > > while debugging assertions when building libm for 32bit Sparc, I hit
> the
> > > following IR:
> > >
> > >   complex_mul_libcall:
> > >     call void @__muldc3({ double, double }* sret %tmp, double %conv,
> double 0.000000e+00, double %a.real, double %a.imag) #2

> > >   declare void @__muldc3({ double, double }*, double, double, double,
> double)
> > >
> > > The same IR is essentially generated for i386 too, so it is not Sparc
> > > specific. Unlike i386, Sparc has an assertion in its codegen that the
> > > function called must have the sret attribute on corresponding argument.
> >
> > I think we should view this as a special case of bitcasting functions
> > to different types (not quite types because it turns out function
> > attributes aren't part of the type in IR, but morally the same thing).
> > LLVM allows those casts normally.
>
> Well, we do consider it an ABI changing attribute for the purpose of
> tail call (under "musttail") and we are loosing the dereferencable
> information. Removing the assert is easy, I just want to make sure there
> is consensus it is the right thing to do.

I think the assertion is probably overzealous and would fire when it
shouldn't in an LTO setting, but it sounds like it also caught a real clang
bug.

This seems like one of those things that's supposed to be in the "lint"
pass, but isn't, because lint isn't part of the normal clang pass pipeline.