[llvm-dev] difference with autotools, cmake and ninja building methods

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 30 09:20:12 PST 2015

> On Nov 29, 2015, at 9:09 PM, 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The autotools build system is officially deprecated and will be removed in a
>> future release.
>>
>> CMake is the recommended configuration system, but it is only a
>> configuration system. It generates build files for multiple different build
>> systems. One of the most popular build systems is Ninja. You cannot build
>> LLVM with Ninja without using CMake, but CMake doesn’t require Ninja. You
>> can use CMake to generate Makefiles as well as Xcode and Visual Studio
>> projects, and more.
>>
> I often used cmake to compile llvm and clang. But I found a boring
> problem: when I update all the repositories - llvm,clang,compiler-rt
> and try to recompile, but I can't compile source code successfully

Do you mean when you update the repositories you can’t compile llvm, clang, and compiler-rt? Do you have a specific error? Keep in mind the llvm, clang, and compiler-rt repositories need to be kept in sync. You can’t update one without updating them all.

> and
> it takes me much time to recompile.

The clang compiler is a quite large source project, depending on your hardware it may take a while to compile. Ninja is better than any other tool that I’m aware of at minimizing the work required during incremental builds.

-Chris