[llvm-dev] difference with autotools, cmake and ninja building methods

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 29 20:58:59 PST 2015

The autotools build system is officially deprecated and will be removed in a future release.

CMake is the recommended configuration system, but it is only a configuration system. It generates build files for multiple different build systems. One of the most popular build systems is Ninja. You cannot build LLVM with Ninja without using CMake, but CMake doesn’t require Ninja. You can use CMake to generate Makefiles as well as Xcode and Visual Studio projects, and more.

This page has the LLVM project’s documentation on using CMake: http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html <http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html>

-Chris