[llvm-dev] [lld] R_MIPS_HI16 / R_MIPS_LO16 calculation

Simon Atanasyan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 21 07:34:35 PST 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Simon Atanasyan <simon at atanasyan.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

>> > If I understand that spec correctly, an R_MIPS_HI16 should immediately
>> > be
>> > followed by an R_MIPS_LO16. Can't you use that property? It doesn't seem
>> > me that you really have to search and pair up HI16 and LO16 relocations.
>>
>> It is a question what the ABI authors did mean by the "R_MIPS_HI16
>> must have an associated R_MIPS_LO16 entry immediately following it"
>> phrase. In fact you can get from a compiler this code:
>>
>> lui    $t0,%hi(sym1+4)      # R_MIPS_HI16
>> lui    $t0,%hi(sym1+8)      # R_MIPS_HI16
>> lui    $t0,%hi(sym1+12)     # R_MIPS_HI16
>> addi   $t0,$t0,%lo(sym1+16) # R_MIPS_LO16
>

> The first two relocations don't conform to the standard because there are no
> corresponding LO16 relocations, no?
>
>> and even such code:
>>
>> lui    $t0,%hi(sym1)     # R_MIPS_HI16 on sym1
>> lui    $t0,%hi(sym2)     # R_MIPS_HI16 on sym2
>> addi   $t0,$t0,%lo(sym1) # R_MIPS_LO16 on sym1
>> addi   $t0,$t0,%lo(sym2) # R_MIPS_LO16 on sym2
>

> Hmm, isn't this a violation of the ABI? My interpretation of "[e]ach
> relocation type of R_MIPS_HI16 must have an associated R_MIPS_LO16 entry
> immediately following it in the list of relocations" is not ambiguous to
> allow them. Is there any chance to fix the compiler? (I guess there isn't,
> though.)

Strictly speaking yes, it is a violation. But it is not a bug of the
single compiler. You can find such code everywhere from various
versions of libc compiled by different versions of gcc and to the code
produced by Clang.

Moreover, I scan through the libc code and found some places where
R_MIPS_HI16 / R_MIPS_LO16 pairs are interleaved with other types of
relocations.

--
Simon Atanasyan