[llvm-dev] Hexagon, DFAPacketzier and dependency pruning

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 20 14:15:53 PST 2015

On 11/20/2015 12:52 PM, Rail Shafigulin via llvm-dev wrote:
> DFAPacketizer has a virtual method isLegalToPruneDependencies(). I
> looked at  the Hexagon code and but wasn't unable to understand the
> details (unfortunately as of now, I'm not well versed in the Hexagon
> architecture). Would anyone be able to shed light on what is dependency
> pruning and how it should be used?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Two instructions can be packetized if
- "isLegalToPacketizeTogether" returns true, or
- "isLegalToPruneDependencies" returns true.

The reason why two instructions may not be "legal to packetize together"
may be that there is some form of dependency between the two.  For
example, one instruction may define register, and the next one may use
it.  In most cases on Hexagon, these cannot go into the same packet: all
registers used in a packet are read before anything gets updated.  There
are exception to this, and in some cases, instructions can go together
despite dependencies---this is where these dependencies can get "pruned"
(which really means "ignored").

The code in Hexagon is somewhat convoluted, in the current shape it's
not necessarily something to imitate.  As a first approximation, you can
just leave the "isLegalToPruneDependencies" with the default
implementation (that returns "false").  This way only
"isLegalToPacketizeTogether" will determine if two instructions can be
in a packet together or not.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation