[llvm-dev] Mips unconditionally uses fast-isel?

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 18 02:19:21 PST 2015

No, that's already true. -O2 doesn't try to enable Fast ISel (unless the optnone attribute is given) so -fast-isel=false has no effect.

I'm saying that optnone means 'use -O0 for this function' and that optnone should

respect non-default values of the -fast-isel flag like -O0 does. This is the behaviour I'd expect:

-fast-isel=false

-fast-isel=default

-fast-isel=true

-O0

SelectionDAG

FastISel

FastISel

-O0 + optnone attribute

SelectionDAG*

FastISel

FastISel

-O1 + optnone attribute

SelectionDAG*

FastISel

FastISel

-O2 + optnone attribute

SelectionDAG*

FastISel

FastISel

-O3 + optnone attribute

SelectionDAG*

FastISel

FastISel

-O1

SelectionDAG

SelectionDAG

FastISel

-O2

SelectionDAG

SelectionDAG

FastISel

-O3

SelectionDAG

SelectionDAG

FastISel

The cells marked with '*' differ from the current behaviour.

In terms of code, I think this part of OptLevelChanger::OptLevelChanger():

   if (NewOptLevel == CodeGenOpt::None) {

      DEBUG(dbgs() << "\nEnable FastISel for Function "

            << IS.MF->getFunction()->getName() << "\n");

      IS.TM.setFastISel(true);

    }

Should be:

    if (NewOptLevel == CodeGenOpt::None) {

      DEBUG(dbgs() << "\nEnable FastISel for Function "

            << IS.MF->getFunction()->getName() << "\n");

      IS.TM.setFastISel(EnableFastISelOption != cl::BOU_FALSE);

    }

Where EnableFastISelOption has the same value as the global in LLVMTargetMachine.cpp

The main reason I'm asking for this is that I think it's weird to for optnone to use a different code generator

than  -O0. These hidden overrides exist to help us debug code generation problems and, faced with a code

generation bug, -fast-isel=false is useful for quickly determining whether it's in FastISel or somewhere else.

The current behaviour allows optnone to overrule the hidden option to force-disable FastISel which will give

misleading guidance for bugs that lie in functions with optnone.