[llvm-dev] [lit] RFC: Per test timeout

Dan Liew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 15 08:19:52 PST 2015

Hi,

> Cool, I hope this succeeds. I tried implementing per-test timeouts
before, and couldn't get it to work in all cases. The review eventually
fizzled out, and I abandoned it.

> Here's that old review: http://reviews.llvm.org/D6584 Perhaps you can
cannibalize testcases from it.

Thanks for that. I'll take a look.

>> I'm e-mailing llvm-dev rather than llvm-commits
>> because I want to gather more feedback on my initial implementation and
>> hopefully some answers to some unresolved issues with my implementation.
>>
>> Currently in lit you can set a global timeout for
>> all of the tests but not for each individual test.
>>
>> The attached patches add
>>
>> * Support for a new ResultCode called TIMEOUT
>

> When I implemented mine, one of the first revisions had this, but then
@ddunbar said he'd prefer I didn't add a new ResultCode.

Okay. I'll bear that in mind. I currently want to distinguish between a
TIMEOUT and UNRESOLVED (I'm not sure what other conditions can lead to this
result code) so I will keep it for now.

>> * A new command line option --max-individual-test-time
>

> I think you should call it `--timeout=`, and then say in the description
that it's a per-test timeout.

I agree a shorter name would be nicer. I'm worried about it being confused
with --max-time though.

>> * Support for running external and internal ShTests with a per test
timeout
>> * Support for running GTests with a per test timeout
>>

> This must be the missing piece... I couldn't get my implementation to
work without resorting to Python 3.x features (which is incompatible with a
2.x minimum version).

I did do brief testing with Python 2.7. It seemed to work okay.

>> * If the platform running lit doesn't have psutil installed and a
>> timeout is requested
>>    an exception will be thrown. Should we provide a more friendly error
message?

> Yes.

Okay. I'll add this before submitting to phabricator.

> Mind squashing your two patches, throwing them on Phabricator, and cc-ing
llvm-commits?

I'm travelling so I can't do it right now but will do tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dan.