[llvm-dev] FIXED POINT NOTATION

Fabio Gritti via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 10 13:54:20 PST 2015

Hi, we are trying to implement in the LLVM framework the fixed point
notation as specified in the ISO/IEC TR 18037 (
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1169.pdf ).

We've read some old discussions on the mailing list ( f.i.
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2010-November/036674.html ,
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2013-December/068473.html ), and
it seems that some people don't agree on their implementation as a
completely new type.
Do you think that today it is worth to implement them or not? Are there
anybody working on this?

If nobody is already working on this,  and the dev community think that it
can be a good idea we have a couple of questions:

1- we are following this main guidelines (
http://llvm.org/docs/ExtendingLLVM.html ) in order to add a new type, do
you think that it's better a fundamental type or a derived one?

2- Do you have any advice or additional tutorial to suggest in order to
implement a new data type?

Thank you very much

Best regards