[llvm-dev] Fwd: buildbot failure in LLVM on sanitizer-ppc64-linux1

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 2 18:04:42 PST 2015

On 10/29/2015 07:40 AM, Bill Seurer wrote:
> On 10/28/15 23:47, Philip Reames via llvm-dev wrote:
> > This long running bot failed on a unused variable warning. Given that
> > several other bots cover the warnings, any chance we could get this one
> > configured to not fail the build on warnings?  Doing so would make it
> > more likely to actually get to the "sanitizer" part of the testing
> process.
> >
> > Philip
>
> Currently the option for Werror is not configurable and is hard coded
> into the cmake invocation.
This seems less than ideal.  The other option would be to do a staged
build (i.e. have slower builders grab the most recent binary from a
faster builder so that they're only running the "interesting" parts on
an otherwise clean build.)

> The bot does a run in 30-40 minutes so I am not sure why you think
> that is "long running". The similar X86 bot takes about twice as long.
I didn't mean to imply that this was one of the longest running bots we
had.  Sorry if it came across that way.

However, a 30-40 minute build cycle is fairly long.  In practice, I tend
to devote the first couple of minutes after a patch submission to
watching for problems (while checking email say), but after 20-30
minutes without problems, I've moved on to something else and might not
notice a problem report.  I'd see it eventually, but that might be
several hours later or even the next day.  Anything we can do to reduce
cycle time increases the odds that problems will get seen and addressed
quickly.

Philip