[llvm-dev] [RFC] Strategies for Bootstrapping Compiler-RT builtins

Steve King via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 2 14:44:19 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
> Sadly, I believe there are licensing reasons why the builtins can’t be in the LLVM repo.

Repos and licenses are orthogonal, but I get the concern.

Switching gears to other questions:
Should the bootstrap build automatically produce a built-ins library
for each target in "llvm-config --targets-built" or is the developer
expected to provide an explicit list?  Hopefully the former.

Is it reasonable that bootstrap build not depend on GNU binutils?
This might be mission creep, but it's a drag that the unspoken first
step in developing an LLVM based toolchain is "port binutils".  I
haven't kept watch on LLD progress, but perhaps it's far enough along
that bootstrap process can depend on it.

Regards,
-steve