[LLVMdev] FW: Capabilities of Clang's PGO (e.g. improving code density)

Randy Chapman randyc at microsoft.com
Wed May 27 13:31:34 PDT 2015

David,

Yes, that is very helpful.  Thanks!
--randy

From: Xinliang David Li [mailto:xinliangli at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:53 PM
To: Randy Chapman
Cc: Lee Hunt; llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: FW: [LLVMdev] Capabilities of Clang's PGO (e.g. improving code density)

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Randy Chapman <randyc at microsoft.com<mailto:randyc at microsoft.com>> wrote:

Hi David!

Thanks again for your help!  I was wondering if you could clarify one thing for me?
 I find mention of “hot arc” optimization (-fprofile-arcs) , but I’m unclear if this is the same thing.  Does Clang PGO do block reordering?
It does reordering, but does not do splitting/partitioning.
I take this to mean that PGO does block reordering within the function?  I don’t see that the clang drive passes anything to the linker to drive function ordering at the linker level as well.  Is there something there that I missed, or are you aware of any readily available tools to do so?  If not, we’ve done some work locally on enabling that which we will continue.

Ok. There are three reordering related optimizations:

1) intra-procedural Basic Block Reordering to reduce branch cost, icache miss and front-end stalls.
2) function splitting/partitioning -- splitting really code part of a function into unlikely.text sections
3) function reordering based on affinity and hotness -- reordering functions by the linker/plugin (guided by the compiler annotations).

Clang currently only does 1).

Hope this clarifies.

thanks,

David