[LLVMdev] how to fix this "Expected no forward declarations!" assertion fail

Hui Zhang wayne.huizhang at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:28:58 PDT 2015

Hello, John

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM, John Criswell <jtcriswel at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 5/27/15 8:12 AM, Hui Zhang wrote:
>
>  Hello, Everyone
>
>  I'm using llvm 3.6 DIBuilder module to build the debug information for
> Chapel language(the Chapel-llvm front end works fine). When I run the test
> program, I got these assertions failed:
> !718
> Expected no forward declarations!
> !719
> Expected no forward declarations!
> !720
> Expected no forward declarations!
> !721
> Expected no forward declarations!
> !722
> All nodes should be resolved!
> !716
>
>  How should I debug it since the bitcode file isn't generated and I can't
> see what exactly those MDNodes represent...
>

> You can probably disable the pass that verifies the LLVM bitcode.  If
> you're using opt, there's a command-line option for that (use --help-hidden
> to find it).  If you're using a custom tool, you'll either need to f
> ​​
> ind the option or modify its source code to disable it.

​Here, ​"​ind the option or modify its source code to disable it", you mean
change the source code of the custom tool(I'm not using opt) that trigger
this assertion failure ? The part of code that cause the failure is below:
    #if HAVE_LLVM_VER >= 35
        problems = verifyModule(*info->module, &errs());
    #else
        problems = verifyModule(*info->module, PrintMessageAction);
    #endif
     if(problems) {
          INT_FATAL("LLVM module verification failed");

So you think I should just remove that "verifyModule" line ?

> Alternatively, run the program through a debugger so that you break into
> the debugger when it hits the assertion.  You can then use the debugger to
> examine the IR (using the dump() methods of various LLVM classes) and see
> what is causing the problem.

​I started it in gdb, but how to use dump() in gdb  ?
Thanks

--
Best regards

Hui Zhang