[LLVMdev] LLVM profiling

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Tue May 26 07:34:53 PDT 2015

Dear Naveed,

Have you verified that edge profiling was integrated into LLVM? This
paper applies a patch to an older version of LLVM to add the edge
profiling feature, so it looks like edge profiling wasn't integrated
into LLVM at that time.  It's not clear to me whether it was added after
the paper was published and whether that feature still exists.

A simple grep on trunk does not show an LLVM pass providing the
insert-edge-profiling command line option.  A quick Google search shows
something like an edge profiling pass in LLVM 3.3
(https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/branches/release_33/lib/Transforms/Instrumentation/OptimalEdgeProfiling.cpp),
but I don't see that code in LLVM trunk now.

I don't use LLVM's profiling features myself.  Other people that work on
the profiling code can better tell you whether edge profiling exists in
LLVM now or existed in a previous version.  If you don't hear from
anyone within the next few days, please start a new thread on the
mailing list with a subject of "Edge Profiling Support" (a more specific
thread title can sometimes elicit more responses).

Regards,

John Criswell