[LLVMdev] GC Statepoint Transition Status?

kelvin farmer twoseventythree.onefive at gmail.com
Mon May 25 16:50:09 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am looking to utilize LLVM as the backend in an existing compiler for a garbage collected language, and have a question regarding the current and future support for precise GC in LLVM.

It appears that gc.root is being phased out, with with breaking changes such as this: http://reviews.llvm.org/D7004 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D7004>

Does this mean that gc.statepoint is ready for primetime (or will be for 3.7's release)? Also, will gc.root still be supported in 3.7 or later?

My gut tells me to use statepoints, but after seeing a bunch of TODOs in its implementation in trunk (along with the docs still describing it as experimental), I'm unsure which intrinsics I should be using.

thanks.