[LLVMdev] Julia Summer of Code

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Mon May 25 00:12:16 PDT 2015

On 05/25/2015 05:57 AM, Keno Fischer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> For those of you who may still be looking for something to do over the
> summer,
> do have a look at the Julia Summer of Code, which we have just announced:
> http://julialang.org/blog/2015/05/jsoc-cfp/
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__julialang.org_blog_2015_05_jsoc-2Dcfp_&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=Mfk2qtn1LTDThVkh6-oGglNfMADXfJdty4_bhmuhMHA&m=K9uqUPOH3JSElRpuA2WeIJ5EQoRcRe6mgBSi5cpvxdo&s=ltyiCoghZa9uJ155FJo8wix7Gy2CvLBNiotW_I9_jTw&e=>.
> As Julia is based on LLVM, I could see a number of interesting projects
> to use
> LLVM better within julia or do something cool with the combination of
> Julia/LLVM.
> A few possible projects I can think off of the top of my head:
>
> 1 - Integrate Julia/Polly
> 2 - Use KLEE on julia code ( I think this could be very fun )
> 3 - Improve the debug info generated by julia/emitted by LLVM
> 4 - Improve Cxx.jl - Julia's C++ FFI/interactive C++ REPL
>
> I'd be very happy to mentor any project in this direction (the list I
> gave is by no means
> complete, if you're interested I'd love to hear your ideas), and please
> do send me an
> email if you have any questions.

Dear Keno,

this is indeed great news. I obviously like the idea of integrating
Julia and Polly and am happy to co-mentor a student working in this
area. Polly should now have all features needed for the use in Polly.
Specifically, our delinearization is now working such that we understand
the multi-dimensionality of Julia arrays and we also experimented with
run-time bound check elimination, which showed good results, but still
requires some modifications in LLVM and Julia. I would be very
interested to work with someone at the Julia side to get these things
nailed down.

Best,
Tobias