[LLVMdev] RFC: New EH representation for MSVC compatibility

Joseph Tremoulet jotrem at microsoft.com
Mon May 18 20:40:52 PDT 2015

> I want to have separate normal and exceptional codepaths
I assume you at least mean that's what you'll be doing in Clang's initial IR generation.  Do you also mean to impose this as a restriction on other IR generators, and as a property that IR transformations must preserve?  I.e., is this something that EH preparation can assume?

> For __finally, we outline the finally body early in clang and emit two calls to it as before, but passing in the frameaddress as an argument
But then you have to frameescape any __finally-referenced local before optimization, and doesn't that defeat the purpose of delaying funclet outlining to EH preparation?

> tail merging could kick in like you mention. Undoing this would be and currently is the job of WinEHPrepare. I guess I felt like the extra representational complexity wasn't worth the confidence that it would buy us
For one, it seems counterproductive to let tail merge think it can kick in when it's doomed to be undone.
For another, if we're talking about a setup where EH paths might mingle with non-EH paths but the funclet will only be invoked for the EH cases, then I believe this would help the  "pruning as many unreachable CFG edges as possible " step be more effective -- after finding out which blocks are reachable from a catch/cleanup, you could intersect that with the set of blocks from which a corresponding resume can be reached.  Any funclet blocks ending in condbr/switch that only wind up with one successor in the funclet could then have their terminators rewritten as unconditional branches, without needing to recover dataflow and chase constants through phis and resolve compares/switches and all that.

> I'm not married to reusing 'resume', other candidate names include 'unwind' and 'continue', and I'd like more ideas
The first thing that comes to mind is 'endatch/exitcatch', but to use that you'd need to rename other things since it would be confusing vis-à-vis catchendblock and lack symmetry with catchblock that isn't prefixed with begin/enter.
You could consider 'filter' (or 'filterblock') for 'catchblock', since conceptually it plays the role of a filter (typically one which consults type information; I've seen such things called "typetestfilter" before).  Or 'dispatch'/'dispatchblock'/'exceptiondispatch'/'dispatchexception' (isn't that what Clang names the blocks it creates for the explicit dispatch code?); 'catchendblock' would then be something like 'unwinddispatch' or 'continuedispatch' or 'resumedispatch' and the resume that returns to normal execution could be 'exitdispatch' or 'exitcatch' or even 'uncatch'.
For the resumes that end cleanups, something like 'endcleanup' might work.
Names are hard…

Thanks
-Joseph