[LLVMdev] [RFC] Upstreaming LLVM/SPIR-V converter

jingu kang jingu at codeplay.com
Sat May 16 13:23:25 PDT 2015

> On the other hand, we create a llvm/Target/SPIR-V, which uses llvm/lib/Bitcode/SPIRV to generate SPIR-V. The SPIR-V target allows Clang and other LLVM front ends to target generic OpenCL/Vulkan platforms.

it looks like Clang and other LLVM front ends generate LLVM IR for
SPIR-V and llvm/Target/SPIR-V backend consumes it. I wonder whether
SPIR-V needs its own optimization or something like that? If SPIR-V
needs it, +1 llvm/Target/SPIR-V. but If not, why not directly use
llvm/lib/Bitcode/SPIRV to write SPIR-V binary from front ends?