[LLVMdev] [WinEH] A hiccup for the Windows C++ exception handling

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed May 13 13:14:48 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Kaylor, Andrew <andrew.kaylor at intel.com>
wrote:

> So there are two issues here.
>

> 1) We need a better way to figure out which blocks should be in which
> handlers and properly remap the return statements in each handler
> accordingly.
>
> 2) We need a better way to compute the EH states.
>

> Anyway, I’m working on these problems right now.  I’m still trying to
> solve the problems without redesigning our current scheme, but I don’t
> think this is going to be the right long term solution.

Yeah, we're on the same page. The current scheme is not the right long term
solution. The SEH personality functions are not nearly as limiting. I was
hoping that, like with SEH, we could completely throw away the information
about try nesting and simply emit tables that are functionally correct. We
knew it was theoretically impossible to always recover the nested try
structure from Itanium-style landingpad IR, but now we know it is also
*practically* impossible. :)

Ultimately, I think something like the dispatchblock scheme I described
will work better.