[LLVMdev] LLD improvement plan

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Thu May 7 13:28:26 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Jim Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Rui,
>
> Thank you for clarifying. This is very helpful.
>
> It’s unfortunate that you’re not seeing benefits from the increased
> semantic knowledge the atom based model can provide. I know you’ve explored
> the issue thoroughly, though, so I understand why you’re wanting to move a
> different direction for your platform.
>
> It’s reasonable to me to split the logic along atom based vs. section
> based in the LLD codebase. Ideally I’d love for that not to be so, but the
> practical results indicate that it is. I agree there is still worthwhile
> code sharing that can and should be done between the two. We’re talking
> about expanding the LLD project’s scope to include multiple linking models,
> not forking the project.
>
> It will be important to keep the layering here such that the linking model
> choice is orthogonal to the file format choice. It should be possible to
> construct both an atom based ELF linker and a section based Mach-O linker,
> for example, even though the default choice for both formats is the other
> way around. That way different platforms with different constraints, such
> as what Alex talked about earlier, can make the choice of model and the
> choice of representation independently.
>
> As a second step, I would very much like to see the native format brought
> back, if only for the atom-based model. Do you feel this is doable?

Yes, it's doable, but I'd really like to see this back with different unit
tests because the way the feature was tested was unrealistic and hard to
maintain. Previously, we tested the feature by dumping intermediate linker
state to a Native file and reading it back from a file to resume
processing. That was different from the expected use case, which is to use
Native files as an alternative object file format. Creating a checkpoint
file of the linker state is a different feature (and I guess nobody really
intended to implement such feature.)

I think we need to extend yaml2obj tool to write outputs in the Native
format, and use the tool to feed Native object files to the linker.

Is there anyone who wants to own the feature? Or I could just revive the
code, but I'd really want to avoid doing that if that doesn't come with a
good test...