[LLVMdev] llvm DSA - reproduce the result in PLDI 07 paper

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Thu May 7 07:19:19 PDT 2015

On 5/6/15 11:07 PM, Wan Zhiyuan wrote:
> Dear John,
> Thank you so much for your reply!
> Please kindly correct me if my understanding is wrong.
>
> From your reply, I learn that there could be mainly four reasons why
> DSA's precision is low:
> 1. type inference
> 2. influence of external code
> 3. bug in handling function pointers

To be clear, this is a fault in the algorithm itself (i.e., a completely
correct implementation would still have the problem).  No one at the
time was aware of this flaw in the algorithm; a master's student
discovered it several years after the paper was published.

> 4. using the wrong DSA pass
>
> As you mentioned in your previous mail, LLVM changes a lot.
> So I was wondering if DSA's algorithm (presented in PLDI '07) can
> achieve a comparable precision on top of LLVM 3.5+ after implementing
> the improvements.

That's an open question and dependent on a lot of things.

I also think you're asking the wrong question.  It sounds like you want
to fix DSA because doing so will make it more precise, but you haven't
discussed why you need that precision.

In my opinion, fixing DSA will be a lot of work (2-3 months at least).
I would not spend time fixing DSA just to see if some synthetic
precision results get better.  I would fix DSA only if I was writing an
analysis or transformation that needed points-to, type-inference, and/or
call graph results more accurate than what DSA is currently providing
*and* if fixing DSA was the cheapest option in getting those more
accurate results.

> Also, I have diff the DSA code in poolalloc release_19 and release_32.
> It seems to me that the changes in DSA mainly comes from the aspects
> as below:
> 1. release_32 introduces the DataLayout to do some type inference;

Not really.  DataLayout used to be called TargetData.  Someone changed
the name within the past year or so.

> 2. release_32 replaces some data structures with LLVM built-in data
> structures;
> 3. release_32 handles different types of LLVM IR instructions, and in
> a different way.
> 4. the inheritance of Analysis Passes has changed a bit.
>
> Therefore, I was wondering if the introduction of DataLayout and
> changes in LLVM IR cause the imprecision as well.

You're looking at all the cosmetic changes needed to make the DSA code
compile with modern LLVM.  None of these things is what makes DSA less
precise.

When I say that changes in LLVM have caused DSA to become less precise,
I am talking about two issues.  First, newer versions of the LLVM
front-end generate LLVM IR that DSA does not analyze well. For example,
after LLVM 1.9, the C front-ends started changing the way they generated
code for vararg functions.  DSA treated the new code conservatively.

Second, some of the LLVM optimization passes started replacing
well-typed GEP instructions with code that casted the pointer to a char
*, did a GEP, and then casted the pointer back to its original type.
Since DSA wasn't designed to analyze this idiom, it just thought that
the pointer was being used like an untyped byte array. This made DSA's
results a lot less precise because it dropped field sensitivity for
these memory objects.

My suggestion on replacing DSA's type-inference code with something
similar to VSA is my idea on how to address the second issue in a way
that will avoid having to change DSA every time the LLVM optimizations
change what they do.  In essence, by making DSA less reliant on the LLVM
type information, the LLVM optimizations can do whatever they want with
the type information, and DSA should still continue to get the same results.

To summarize, DSA lost precision because it made assumptions about the
LLVM IR it would be analyzing.  When LLVM changed in ways that broke
those assumptions, DSA started generating less precise results.

Regards,

John Criswell