[LLVMdev] LCOV per commit

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu May 7 01:42:54 PDT 2015

On 6 May 2015 at 23:50, Joshua Cranmer <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> An example of the tool I wrote is publicly accessible at
> <https://www.tjhsst.edu/~jcranmer/m-ccov/>

Hi Joshua,

This sure looks beautiful, but I think we need something a lot simpler
than that.

First, I really want to know if the tests we run regularly (check-all
and test-suite) do cover most of the code. So we don't need a
test-by-test report, just three states: check-all, test-suite, both.

Second, the area graph can hide small files that were never tested.
I'd like a report like LCOV (or your detailed report), but with the
option to sort by coverage, so you can focus on the problematic cases.

Third, your tool also doesn't seem to have a revision number, which
makes it difficult to compare commits or even know what features are
in or out.

Finally, a separate report, one that only includes the changed lines
for a specific commit, is the most important thing. This will tell you
if the tests that you committed do touch all the logic you have added,
and even if the existing tests are already exercising the patch, so a
new test would be redundant.

cheers,
--renato