[LLVMdev] LLD improvement plan

Daniel Dilts diltsman at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:47:05 PDT 2015

> > Linker scripts are worse than everything - except for the alternatives
> that
> > we know about. Any particular suggestions here?
>
> I very much care about the functionality provided by linker scripts (for
> embedded systems and kernel work), but I do agree that most current
> script formats are hard to use, debug, reason about, etc...  I have
> often wondered whether embedding Python might be a better choice.
>
> Take a look at how debuggers have migrated through the years.  They too
> used to have their own script format.  Now most (all?) popular debuggers
> do scripting through embedding an actual programming language.  This
> could be a better way forward for linkers as well -- embed Python in the
> linker, define a Python API for linkable item placement, entry point,
> symbol operations, etc..., and then you also have the rest of Python at
> your fingertips.

I mostly care about specifying address where specific symbols will be
placed and specifying the memory layout of the platform.   I normally use
__attribute__((section(""))) to place the symbols in their own sections and
then use the linker script to place the sections at the required
addresses.  How would this be accomplished without linker scripts?