[LLVMdev] Questions regarding the LLVM IR and the Instruction class

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Fri May 1 13:11:57 PDT 2015

> On 2015-May-01, at 01:27, Canumalla Anirudh <anirudh.c.93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have two questions that I need answers to . Hope somebody can help me
>
> 1) The LLVM IR has three forms of representation

By design, the legal IR should be equivalent between the three forms.
In practice, there are probably some bugs (I've fixed some in the past).

> - In memory,

This can be manipulated via the C++ API (and, to some extent, the C API).

> bitcode representation

This can be efficiently serialized to/from disk, and has upgrade support
from old (archived) files.

> and the human readable form.

This is human readable/writable.

> I would like to know the differences between the two representations if any.

HTH.