[LLVMdev] RFC - Improvements to PGO profile support

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Tue Mar 24 10:13:16 PDT 2015

On 03/24/2015 09:59 AM, Philip Reames wrote:
> [...]
> scaling rather than lazyily compute it on demand. Assuming perfect
> implementations for both (with no rounding losses), the results should
> be the same.  Is that a correct restatement?  I'm going to hold off on
> responding to why that's a bad idea until you confirm, because I'm not
> sure I follow what you're trying to say.  :)
>
> Also, trusting exact entry counts is going to be somewhat suspect.
> These are *highly* susceptible to racy updates, overflow, etc...
> Anything which puts too much implicit trust in these numbers is going
> to be problematic.
>>

>>     We are definitely missing the per-function execution counts that
>>     are needed to be able to compare relative “hotness” across
>>     functions, and I think that would be a good place to start making
>>     improvements. In the long term, we should keep our options open
>>     to making major changes, but before we go there, we should try to
>>     make incremental improvements to fix the existing infrastructure.
>>

>> Right, and that's the core of our proposal. We don't really want to
>> make major infrastructure changes at this point. The only thing I'd
>> like to explore is making MD_prof a real count. This will be useful
>> for the inliner changes and it would also make incremental updates
>> easier, because the scaling that needs to be done is very
>> straightforward and quick.
>>
>> Note that this change should not modify the current behaviour we get
>> from profile analysis. Things that were hot before should continue to
>> be hot now.
> I have no objection to adding a mechanism for expressing an entry
> count.  I am still very hesitant about the proposals with regards to
> redefining the current MD_prof.
>
> I'd encourage you to post a patch for the entry count mechanism, but
> not tie its semantics to exact execution count.  (Something like "the
> value provided must correctly describe the relative hotness of this
> routine against others in the program annoatated with the same
> metadata.  It is the relative scaling that is important, not the
> absolute value.  In particular, the value need not be an exact
> execution count.")
>>

>>     Many of the other issues you raise seem like they could also be
>>     addressed without major changes to the existing infrastructure.
>>     Let’s try to fix those first.
>>

>> That's exactly the point of the proposal.  We definitely don't want
>> to make major changes to the infrastructure at first. My thinking is
>> to start working on making MD_prof a real count. One of the things
>> that are happening is that the combination of real profile data plus
>> the frequency propagation that we are currently doing is misleading
>> the analysis.
> I consider this a major change.  You're trying to redefine a major
> part of the current system.
>
> Multiple people have spoken up and objected to this change (as
> currently described).  Please start somewhere else.
Sorry, "objected" is too strong a word here.  I should have said "have
reservations about".

My point here - which I'm not sure I expressed well - is that I'm
concerned we're going to bog down on a controversial change rather than
make progress on the parts we agree on.  I'm not saying that we should
never redefine things in the way your proposing, but I would like to see
the parts that work under both schemes be addressed first.  We can
continue this discussion in parallel.