[LLVMdev] Enabling stricter warnings for Windows builds

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Mon Mar 23 17:03:31 PDT 2015

>> warning C4706: assignment within conditional expression (296 times)
> Only 300? I was going to say that I assume this warning doesn't support the double-paren suppression that GCC/Clang's -Wparentheses dictate, but with such a low hit rate I wonder if it's some other sub-set of cases MSVC is seeing here. (or maybe we don't use even parentheses-bound assignment in conditionals very often at all)

Yeah, I expected more too.  I haven’t looked at any of these to see what might explain it.

>> warning C4389: signed/unsigned mismatch (28 times)
> Wonder how this is different from C4245?

C4245 seems to apply specifically to const values that the compiler knows to have a negative value.

See examples: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e9s7thk1.aspx

>> warning C4189: local variable is initialized but not referenced (6 times)
> Clang diagnoses cases like this already - I wonder what subset MSVC is catching that Clang is not. If it's types with non-trivial construction/destruction, then this seems like a warning we might not want to enable - it might false-positive on scoped devices, etc.

Some of these were cases where the code was getting an object pointer and then using it to call a static function.  The other cause was places where a template parameter in a compound condition had the potential to short circuit evaluation of the condition and thus skip the only use of the local variable.

In the former case, fixing the code to avoid the warning seems like an improvement.

I don’t know if MSVC only warns in the second case if the template is actually instantiated with a value that short circuits the condition.  If not, that one definitely seems like a nuisance but it was easy enough to fix in the places where it was being reported.

>> warning C4611: interaction between '_setjmp' and C++ object destruction is non-portable (2 times)
> Curious - again, worth comparing whatever false positives to whatever holes clang might have, etc.

This one looks potentially serious to me, but it isn’t obvious what to do about it so I ended up adding this to the list of warnings I’m going to just disable.  It’s a design issue.

Both instances of the warning occurred in the same place, CrashRecoveryContext::runSafely().

It may be that the best thing to do here is to just document the potentially platform-dependent behavior if it really isn’t consistent across the platforms we support.

-Andy