[LLVMdev] string input for the integrated assembler

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Mar 18 11:00:04 PDT 2015

To try to rephrase, these are the transformations to and from MC in LLVM:
assembly -> MCInsts
MachineInstrs -> MCInsts
MCInsts -> object file
MCInsts -> assembly

It sounds you're having trouble translating from MachineInstrs to MCInsts,
but printing assembly strings from MachineInstrs is easy for some reason.

I don't really see why we'd want to go back to the old way of printing
assembly strings from the compiler, and then reparsing them, even if it
were in-process. We did a lot of work to avoid that whole re-parsing step
to save on compile time.

I don't fully understand the challenges your target presents, but I'm not
convinced that they can't be overcome with some good engineering. Printing
asm strings and building MCInsts seem like equivalently difficult problems
that would leverage the same underlying logic.