[LLVMdev] Target-specific defaults for LLVM tools?

Dario Domizioli dario.domizioli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 17:17:59 PDT 2015

Thanks for all the replies!

Whoa, it looks like there's pretty much a massive consensus on "use clang
and never use opt/llc in that kind of scenario".

I appreciate that opt and llc are mainly debugging/testing tools.
The problem is mainly that these programs "are there" in the open source
build of LLVM. Users know that they're getting a product based on open
source LLVM, so:
- If opt and llc were not shipped, then it would be reasonable for users to
ask: "why can't we have them?"
- If they were shipped, then it would be reasonable for users to ask: "can
we have them just work?"

Also, intuitively it feels that llc could be more lightweight / performing
compared to clang (which has to spawn a second process), although I admit
that I don't have performance numbers for this comparison (yet).

Anyway, now we definitely have an answer for the two questions above. :-)

Cheers,
    Dario Domizioli
    SN Systems - Sony Computer Entertainment Group