[LLVMdev] Target-specific defaults for LLVM tools?

Jonathan Roelofs jonathan at codesourcery.com
Tue Mar 17 16:58:07 PDT 2015

On 3/17/15 5:35 PM, Steve King wrote:
> Clang correctly assembled a .s file when using the -integrated-as
> option.  Thanks, that is news to me!  However, without -integrated-as,
> clang invoked 'as', which won't work for a GNU-less target.  Accepting
> assembler invocation as a good case study for target specific clang
> defaults, what is the proper solution?

Again, what is the target architecture? (I understand if it's an
out-of-tree backend that you can't talk about. If so, I'll stop bugging
you about this point.)

For some targets, -integrated-as the default is on, for others it
defaults to off. It generally depends on how good the integrated
assembler is for that target. For example, the default on ARM used to be
-no-integrated-as because IAS just wasn't mature enough at the time.

The "proper solution" here w.r.t. assemblers is to implement full
support for the integrated assembler for the target arch in llvm, and
then flip the default for that target.

--
Jon Roelofs
jonathan at codesourcery.com