[LLVMdev] LLVM Parallel IR

Dounia Khaldi khaldi.dounia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:12:22 PDT 2015

Hi William,

Currently, LLVM lowers parallel constructs of OpenMP at the front-end level
to runtime calls; although simple, this ad-hoc solution prevents high-level
reasoning about parallel languages while possibly introducing semantic
inconsistencies in existing sequential program analyses. Worse, users
implicitly rely upon the lack of interprocedural analyses within many
compilers to preserve the semantics of programs even in the presence of
code optimizations.

As part of my PhD work, I worked on introducing a parallel intermediate
representation extension for parallel compilers which I called *SPIRE*.
SPIRE was successfully applied to automatically parallelize sequential
programs within the PIPS source to source compiler. (Here is a link to my
PhD thesis: https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/pastel-00935483/document).

As part of my Postdoc work at University of Houston, I am currently
applying SPIRE to LLVM in order to optimize PGAS languages, specifically
OpenSHMEM. The idea is to be able to recognize OpenSHMEM constructs and
represent them explicitly in the LLVM IR using SPIRE to take advantage of
sequential optimizations offered by LLVM. The ultimate goal is to develop
new parallel optimizations based on SPIRE(LLVM IR). The tricky part here is
to prove that the enabled optimizations will generate correct codes. I am
using SPIRE formal operational semantics I developed to prove the
correctness of optimizations performed on parallel programs.

I can send you a submitted paper regarding this work on LLVM if you are
interested.

Best,

--
Dounia KHALDI