[LLVMdev] stability of llvm ir across releases

Neil Henning llvm at duskborn.com
Mon Mar 16 02:24:44 PDT 2015

I concur with Jeremy - it is mostly ok to consume older IR with newer
LLVM, but metadata has changed significantly in just about every release
since 3.2 (one of the issues with OpenCL SPIR 1.2 using the 3.2 IR is
that all people implementing OpenCL drivers that support SPIR have to
have some funky code on the go to support the older IR).

I think it is wrong to assume the IR wouldn't change though - one of the
best things about LLVM is the utter disregard for backwards
compatibility if it allows the project to do something in a better way -
if that meant the IR had to be massively changed it would be done and
the community wouldn't even glance backwards ;)

-Neil.