[LLVMdev] [GSoC] Applying for GSoC 2015

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Sat Mar 14 17:31:27 PDT 2015

A few notes:
1. "But these standard LLVM AA passes either take a large amount of time
(Anderson Analysis at cubic time and large memory requirements)"

Neither of these is correct. Andersen's is not cubic in practice, or large
memory in practice, when implemented properly.  GCC uses it by default as
the points-to implementation, and it's never even close to the top of the
profile.

It takes about 1 second to do a million lines of code.
And one can do better (gcc's impl is no longer state of the art).

2. The approach to field sensitivity you mention is not going to work very
well, given how much casting occurs (everything is casted). I would suggest
using the approach in http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=996835

3. George, cc'd, is planning on implementing both context sensitive and
context-insensitive interprocedural analysis in cfl-aa the next month or
two.

4. Using a BDD cloning approach for CFL-AA doesn't make much sense, the
whole point of CFL is not having to generate explicit points-to sets if you
don't want to. Plus, followup papers and researchers have *never* been able
to reproduce the scalability of Whaley's work.

Not to mention it's done on Java. Java is a language where doing things
like field-sensitivity always increase precision, which is not true for C.

If you really want to attempt this, I would suggest using one of the demand
driven context-sensitive approaches that will be easy to fit in CFL.