[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Mar 11 09:17:56 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Renato Golin" <renato.golin at linaro.org>

Why? CMake itself already has a bootstrap procedure and associated scripts? We'd just defer to those as appropriate. The added complexity is not trivial, but need not be large, and most importantly, is borne by us, not all other users, packagers, systems administrators, etc. Plus, having done so, we'll be in control of what features are available to us, which will provide an offsetting increase in our productivity. Regarding the other dependencies you mentioned, they're mostly providing standardized interfaces (libc, C++11, etc.), except for Python. But Python has lots of optional external dependencies (ncurses, etc.) and would not be a good candidate for shipping inline, plus it's large. CMake's external dependencies are very minimal, and it's not particularly large, making it a much better candidate for bundling.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist