[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 06:22:09 PDT 2015

On 11 Mar 2015, at 12:45, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> A. LTS Linux users (by far, the biggest constituency among Linux
> users) are stuck old versions of CMake in their packages.

To put this in perspective, until the latest Ubuntu LTS release it had been impossible to build LLVM without building some dependencies manually on Ubuntu LTS.  This didn't seem to be a problem for the project then and I don't really see why it would become one now.  It was slightly annoying (our Jenkins server had to build a load of stuff from source), but RHEL and Ubuntu LTS generally seem to be aimed at people who think old software with known security holes is better than new software with undiscovered bugs, so there's less reason to expect that they'd want to run the very latest LLVM.

David