[LLVMdev] n-bit bytes for clang/llvm

Tyro Software softwaretyro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 01:50:45 PDT 2015

I agree with the sentiment: without a usable backend bit-rot will surely
ensue. I guess ideally the patches would accompany a real backend relying
upon them and a target environment executing them, e.g. a simulator
environment for the DSP so access to the real hardware isn't required.

FWIW my original curiosity stems from wondering whether a C/C++ compiler
can even be created for a non-mainstream architecture such as Knuth's
original MIX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIX - given such features as a
byte size that isn't aligned to the memory word size of 6-bit bytes, 31-bit
words, so a char pointer effectively requires padding for the p[5] case of
bit-30). But if a MIX backend was created then at least execution
environments exist for it - however I guess a very real question for the
community clang/llvm would be whether the additional complexity for
supporting such a "toy environment" is warranted, especially since MIX was
superseded by MMIX (which has a gcc backend).