[LLVMdev] n-bit bytes for clang/llvm

Patrik Hägglund H patrik.h.hagglund at ericsson.com
Wed Mar 11 01:37:08 PDT 2015

> It's definitely doable, but I'd be worried about the maintenance burden.

Yes, that is a problem.

We are currently not allowed to reveal our target (which has 16-bit bytes, and registers with non-power-of-two bit widths) fully, and therefore not able to submit it upstream. One idea we have toyed with is to create a simple "dummy" version of our target, just to be able complement patches with tests. For 16-bit byte support we may also pick some existing simple architecture, such as DCPU-16 or TI C54x. One other idea is just to have the changes on a branch upstream.

/Patrik Hägglund