[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:46:21 PDT 2015

> We don't require users to compile their own gcc. Are you saying it's
> impossible to get pre-built CMake 2.8.12 and gcc 4.7 on either Mac or
> Windows?

And we wouldn't be requiring it for cmake. My point was that cmake is
always easier to install:

* From binaries: a bit easier, since they are provided in http://www.cmake.org/
* From source: way easier than gcc.

Gosh, from my experience *building* cmake is easier than *downloading*
llvm and clang in the right layout, so the extra cost is really small.

As for the advantages, this seems to make it easier to drop the
autoconf build, which would be a really big win for us.

>> We already require it of every developer using windows or os X. By the
>> same argument we should be providing xcode and msvc projects :-)
>
> Why not? CMake can build eclipse files, and some projects do supply
> code::blocks project files. If people feel inclined, I don't see a problem.

Because it has a big cost for the people actually writing llvm in
exchange of an hypothetical advantage to an hypothetical user.

Cheers,
Rafael